The Structure of Scientific
Revolutions:Thomas‧Kuhn
I think Thomas‧Kuhn(1922-1996) may be the greatest scientific philosopher that I
have ever known. His book《The Structure of Scientific Revolutions》(科學革命的結構)has been honored as the most influential book in post-20th
century.(I have a Chinese translation edition!)
The core of his theory is that he
divide the development of science into three parts:Normal Science(常態科學)、Scientific
Crisis(科學危機) and
Scientific Revolution(科學革命).
Normal Science→Scientific Crisis→Scientific
Revolution→New Normal Science
In the period of Normal Science,
paradigm(典範) was the
highest guide of science and scientists. Scientists would not suspect whether
the paradigm was correct or not. They were solving puzzles(解謎) under the guide of paradigm.The
puzzles were provided by the paradigm.
Sometimes, some puzzles couldn’t
be solved for a long time. Therefore, they became anomalies(異例) to that paradigm. They were
crisises for the paradigm. Scientist
may want to seek new paradigms. A lot of new paradigms had been issued and compete with the original paradigm. If new paradigm replace old paradigm,this was called paradigm shift(典範轉移). The Scientific Revolution was completed and New Normal Science began.
Take Mechanics and Astronomy for
examples as below:
Aristotle’s Mechanics(亞里斯多德力學)→Descartes and Galileo(笛卡兒與伽利略)→Newton’s Mechanics→Crisis Of Mechanics→Relativistic Mechanics(相對論性力學)
Ptolemy’s Geocentric model(托勒密地心說)→Copernicus’s Heliocentrism(哥白尼日心說)→Newton’s Theory→Relativistic Astronomy


沒有留言:
張貼留言