Basic Concepts of Some Controversial
Physical Theories
I think you must feel serious and difficult to understand what I am
going to talk about at first sight. Exactly, It’s really hard to show you these
topics in an easy way. But don’t worry, I will try my best to tell you the
whole stories step by step,and mainly focus on the interesting part.
First of all, I want to tell you
the story of Einstein’ theory of relativity and how such theory changed our
images of spacetime and reality. The theory states that the speed of light is a
constant. If you are moving in the speed of light, the time to you will stop.
Perhaps, you can be younger than your younger sister(This conclusion is called
the twin paradox)!
Secondly, I will introduce some basic ideas rule the microscopic
world called Quantum Mechanics. The main point I want to tell you is how
ridiculous of Quantum Mechanical interpretations are. There is also another interesting story about the debates of two
greatest physicists in twentieth century, Einstein and Bohr. In the story, I will tell
you why Einstein said”God does not play dice.”
Thirdly, I will introduce the most interesting and powerful theory
in physics called string theory. The theory states that we are living in a
11-dimensional world. It deals with the biggest problems in the reality. For
examples,how the universe begin?where do we come from?why do we exist instead
of nothing at all?
Do you think these questions and theories sound interesting but
difficult? Let me show you how physicists think about these questions.


Impolite to say, Do you really understand the string teo.? Of course, I don't and I believe nobody in our class know in spite of likeness I own. I will keep reading but I hope I can absorb the materials. I personally suggest you to put more effort on something more realistic. BTW 11 dimension is still problematical, which means not arbitrarily right.
回覆刪除So,you need me to put equations? Perhaps you can join the study group about string theory on Monday. Exactly, you are right, 11 dimensions are still problematical,it is why Richard Feynman didn't believe string theory. Maybe you don't understand the history of string theory. We now have Euler numbers imply the dimensions in string theory,and we have found some powerful dualities to connect different sting theories.(Maybe you have heard M-theory) If you want to know more, we can chat in private.
刪除I will not talk details and the incomprehensible part in the blog. I only want to make my blog accessible to everyone in the popular science level.
刪除I am really interesting in your topic. Relativity, quantum mechanics, and even string theory is not easy for everyone to understand, but I believe that you will tell all of them in an interesting way. I am really looking forward to your topic.
回覆刪除Hello!
回覆刪除As your classmate from Department of Physics, I'm interesting in your topic too. I can't wait for your next post.
Have you seen some program produced by National Geographic Channel talking about "time travel" ? I am really fascinated by the shows, and I am sure you will,too!
回覆刪除