God particle:the origin of
mass
The Nobel prize in physics of this
year is for the discovery of Higgs boson(希格斯玻色子).There were a long history and stories about the “God particle”(上帝粒子).
We are all composed of
particles.But why particles have mass? This is a big problem among physics
community in early 1960s. Higgs particle(accurately, Higgs field) is the
solution! In simple, there are a lot of Higgs particles filled up the space. Once
we move, Higgs particle will collide with you. You wil feel a “resistance” and their
potential energy will be absorbed by you. Therefore, you have mass!
![]() |
| potential energy of Higgs boson |
Last year, on July 4,LHC(大型強子對撞機)told everyone that they have
found a new particle. This year, on March 14,CERN(歐洲核子研究組織)issued a release that the
previously detected new particles are Higgs boson.
![]() |
| Higgs |
There are over six people have
contributions on Higgs boson,but only Englert and Higgs got 2013 Nobel prize.
This is because they are two of the first three people(one died in 2011) to
publish their papers(1964 published).
The explanations and stories
above are oversimplifications. So if there are some concepts seems confused and
you want to know the details,you can ask me in private.
If you want to know more by yourselves,here
are some key words that you can google:boson(玻色子),spontaneous symmetry breaking(自發對稱破缺), Nambu-Goldstone theorem(南部-戈德斯通定理),electroweak unified theory(電弱統一理論),standard
model(標準模型)
![]() |
| I recommend this book! |
This article is great! But may be a little difficult to you.http://case.ntu.edu.tw/blog/?p=14336

3.jpg)


I should visit your blog before general chemistry quiz! T^T
回覆刪除The theory of Higgs boson is so cool!I haven't imagined we can explain why things have masses.I think I will study this part of science in the future.
回覆刪除